Thursday, January 11, 2007

BBC release post Hutton board meeting minutes

The BBC has now released the minutes of the post Hutton (whitewash) report meeting of the board.

Certainly worth reading.

January 2004 minutes

February 2004 minutes

To remind ourselves of the context, there is an chronology of events surrounding Hutton on Wikipedia and the public statements from the BBC are available here


Former Director General Greg Dyke

"I am today announcing that I have resigned from the BBC.

My position as director general has inevitably been compromised by the criticisms of BBC management in the Hutton report.

Following Gavyn Davies' decision to go, I felt I too should offer my resignation to the Board of Governors.

I have enjoyed my time at the BBC and in particular I've loved working with so many talented and enthusiastic people.

I am proud of what we have achieved together over the last four years.

With the departure of both Gavyn and myself and the apology I issued on behalf of the BBC yesterday, I hope that a line can now be drawn under this whole episode.

Throughout this affair my sole aim as director general of the BBC has been to defend our editorial independence and to act in the public interest".


Acting Director General Mark Byford

" I would first like to pay tribute to Greg Dyke and his tenure as director general.

Like all colleagues in the BBC I am shocked and saddened at his departure.

Greg has brought tremendous dynamism, energy and drive and is hugely respected by all the staff at all levels throughout the organisation and is recognised for his warmth, integrity and talent.

I recognise it is now my task as acting director general to lead the organisation through what is a very turbulent period.

We must now study the Hutton report carefully, learn appropriate lessons and implement relevant measures.

The BBC must provide high quality, independent, impartial journalism, recognised for its accuracy, fairness and objectivity.

It must be recognised in the UK and around the world for trusted, reliable, authoritative news; intelligent discussion and debate; and courageous investigative journalism set within a rigorous and robust editorial framework.

Creativity is the heart of the organisation and we must strive to promote high quality, innovation and ambition in all we do, serving audiences as a beacon of public service broadcasting.

I believe passionately in the values of the BBC and its role.

As acting director general I will lead it to the very best of my ability together with an outstanding team of colleagues.

My executive committee team also want to put on record their affection for Greg and their great admiration for all he has achieved as director general.

They, too, are very sad to see him go but understand and accept his decision.

As an executive, we are now united in looking forward to working with the Board of Governors to ensure the BBC emerges from this difficult time a strong, independent and vibrant organisation, building on the legacy Greg has left behind".



And lets not forget what started the whole affair, a report by Andrew Gilligan or was it the dodgy dossier?

Either way, it is interesting to note that Greg Dyke claimed to have been "mistreated" and asked to be reinstated.

No comments: